Friday 6 July 2007

A different type of heroic

So what with a lack of things to do in WoW, I thought I'd branch out and experiment a bit with other games.

I've noted I'm already playing a bit of EVE. Its an interesting game, and I can't quite figure it out. It needs micromanaging in the sense that you need to log on every $skillTrainingTime to keep your advancement going, but also need to grind up money as otherwise that skill training doesn't do anything. Combat so far (what with being before my first clone upgrade of skills) consists of orbit at 3km, throw on my afterburner, lock on, fire all weapons, wash, rinse, repeat.

It looks shiny, and I'm only about a week into my (admittedly third) trial, so I'll see how it goes.

Last night I also tried City of $character, having managed to find a trial key thanks to Van Hemlock. A 2 gig download later, a quick registration and I'm looking at the character creation screen. Probably half an hour later, I'm still looking at it. The customisation is silly in its potential.

I've now created 5 different characters, 4 heroes and 1 villain, and only actually played one out of the tutorial. Although a couple have been fairly goofy and not been something I particularly want to keep playing, its good fun just to play around with the creator and see what can be done with it.

The gameplay is very refreshing coming from WoW, no stopping to loot, very little stopping to rest and fast(ish) travel by default, plus it looks a lot more fun - throwing people into the air and letting them fall is a bit more interesting than just pewpewing with fireballs and frostbolts! But I'll give a more thorough look over it, along with EVE, once I've got a bit more experience with the thing.

1 comment:

Zoso said...

Welcome to the Disconnectibles, see you round Paragon City!