Sunday 19 August 2007

Dungeons and Dragons and books, oh my!

A couple of weeks ago I splashed out and bought a D&D book of amazon.co.uk, then about a week later I spotted another one I wanted in Waterstones, and bought that as well.

These books were both 3.5 edition (which I haven't figured out how to pronounce yet)

The other day, Wizards of the Coast, who produce D&D have anounced 4th edition.

Now, on the one hand, this is a Bad Thing™. I have three 3.5 edition books. There are people with shelves and shelves of them, which will (probably) be obsoleted when the new ones come out.

On the other hand, this is a Very Good Thing™, as the game will (hopefuly) be more streamlined, like the new Star Wars Saga Edition, also produced by Wizards. This will (presumably) mean that most of the 3.5 books aren't actually needed, as a lot more of their content is incorporated into the core rules.

On the gripping hand, both of the above, balancing out to a Good Thing™. The rules will be in place from the core 4th edition books. The flavour text from 3.5 will still be perfectly acceptable. The conversion from 3.5 to 4th edition characters should be relatively simple, even if some nuances are lost.

Overall, I am pleased with this announcement, even if it means the raw mechanics of some of my books will be slightly obsoleted: it won't matter as the flavour will still be there.

1 comment:

Tobold said...

I feel your pain. I started AD&D during the first edition, and had to renew all my books several times since. But then again, you can always go back and play a campaign using old rules, we ran a 1st edition campaign a while ago. And the changes are usually mostly to the Players Handbook and Dungeon Masters Guide. Many of the "flavor" books can be used for any edition with some tweaking.